As far back as I can remember, I have always LOVED these Chocolate No-Bake cookies! My mother made them for us when I was a child, I made them for my children when they were growing up, and now I make them for us, and anyone who comes over . . . like grandchildren: And these chocolate-y oatmeal cookies with peanut butter and chopped pecans are the best!
I have seen several recipes for chocolate no-bake cookies, and have made numerous ones. Some were cooked 3 minutes, some 1 minute. Some were successful, some were not. But, after consulting several good cooks, I think this recipe is the best one yet! I found it on Brown Eyed Baker’s website. I did adapt Michelle’s recipe a bit:
- Added chopped pecans because that’s what my husband likes, but you don’t have to if your family doesn’t like them.
- Used chunky peanut butter. That’s what I had in my pantry, and I didn’t want to go to the grocery store for the creamy version.
The key to being successful in making these Chocolate No-Bake Cookies is to follow the cooking instructions perfectly. If you don’t cook the mixture long enough, the cookies will be soft and runny. And, if you cook them too long, they will be crumbly. Almost like the Three Bears . . . not long enough, too long, or JUST RIGHT!!!:) (You can tell I am a retired teacher:))
When I made these cookies, I used my large cookie scoop. My medium one broke around Christmas time, and I haven’t bought another one yet. While the cookies did turn out, I thought they were maybe too big:) I think a medium size cookie scoop would be the best to use.
I think I may have cooked the cookie mixture a little bit too long. They were not as “glossy” as I wanted them to be, but they were still good:) In fact, I took a container of them to Candace’s house when I cooked supper for them the night before her surgery. The grandchildren said they were going to take them in their lunch for school. I think that is a great idea . . . oatmeal, peanut butter, and pecans, not to mention chocolate . . . I would classify these cookies as a nutritious snack! What do you think?
What is your favorite cookie? Is it a bake or no bake one?
Chocolate No-Bake Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup peanut butter (I used chunky because that is what I had in my pantry)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Place butter, sugar, milk, cocoa, and salt in a large, heavy saucepan or skillet. (I used my skillet because that’s how Mama made hers and I made mine for years.)
- Bring to a rapid boil and let boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the peanut butter and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Add the oats and chopped pecans. Stir until combined well.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (or 2 tablespoonfuls), drop onto parchment-lined baking sheets. (I used my 2-inch cookie scoop which made large cookies. . . maybe too big:))
- Let cool until set, about 30 minutes.
NOTE: Store cookies in an airtight container.