Celebrate Pi(e) Day with an Easy Strawberry Pie!
Easy Strawberry Pie is a great pie for Pi(e) Day, which is celebrated every year on March 14th. And, bloggers everywhere will be posting their favorite pies for you to try. I decided to post this pie, which is a variation of Mama’s Fresh Strawberry Pie, but easier. Because of the mild winter, fresh strawberries are already available here. But, even if they aren’t in your area, you can always buy fresh strawberries at your local grocery store.
Last week, I decided to adapt Mama’s Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe, using a jello filling instead of Mama’s cooked filling. This is what you would typically get in a restaurant that serves strawberry pie. I got the filling recipe from my cousin, La Nan, and made it at Candace’s shop so we could try it. Every spring, Candace makes dozens and dozens of Mama’s Fresh Strawberry Pies for her customers. They have always been a #1 hit, but as the shop has grown, so has the need for easier recipes.
Making the Easy Strawberry Pie . . .
This recipe requires a homemade baked pie crust, a cooked jello filling, a cream cheese bottom layer, and a quart of fresh strawberries. I baked the crust first, setting it aside to cool while I capped and sliced the strawberries, made the cream cheese mixture for the bottom layer, and then made the filling. By this time, the crust should be cool enough to finish the pie.
Once you have everything ready, begin by spreading the cream cheese on the bottom of the baked pie crust. Then place 1/2 of the fresh strawberries on top of the cream cheese layer. The filling is poured over the strawberries, then topped with whipped topping (Cool Whip).
Refrigerate for an hour or two, then it is ready to eat! It made a really pretty pie, and everyone who ate it thought it was delicious!
There was a difference in this pie and Mama’s Fresh Strawberry Pie. The Jell-O filling added a different taste even though we added 1/2 of the strawberries to the filling. (Like Mama does with her cooked strawberry filling). Also, this pie was more firm, because of the cornstarch and the Jell-O. It was still, quite delicious for an Easy Fresh Strawberry Pie!
What is your favorite pie to eat in the spring? Strawberry? or another pie?
Easy Strawberry Pie Recipe
(Adapted from Mama’s Fresh Strawberry Pie)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 small box strawberry Jell-O
- Red food coloring, if desired
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie crust
- 1 (8-ounce) whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- Bake pie crust. Set aside to cool.
- Rinse strawberries, cap, and slice larger ones in half. Divide into two equal amounts: 1 part to place on the cream cheese layer/ 1 part to add to the cooked filling. Set aside.
- Place sugar, cornstarch, and water in a heavy pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the liquid is clear, stirring constantly.
- Add the strawberry Jell-O. Whisk until shiny.
- Add red food coloring if the mixture is not as red as you like it.
- Add the remaining sliced strawberries to the filling. Stir to combine. Set aside for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy. Spoon onto the baked pie crust. Spread with a spoon or knife until the bottom is covered.
- Place 1/2 of the sliced strawberries on top of the cream cheese layer. Set aside.
- Pour the strawberry filling over the fresh strawberries. Spread with a spoon or knife.
- Top with the whipped topping.
- Refrigerate at least 1-2 hours before serving.