Mama makes the BEST Potato Broccoli Soup!!!
My Mama makes the absolute BEST Potato Broccoli Soup ever! I love to go there on days when she has made this creamy delicious chock-full-of-vegetables soup:) Usually, she makes a pan of homemade Mexican Cornbread to serve with it. There is NOTHING better!
Mama’s Potato Broccoli Soup in a Crockpot!
So, as I thought about her Potato Broccoli Soup, I wondered if I could successfully make it in my Crockpot. I wanted a recipe that would have the convenience of a meal that “cooks itself” without sacrificing that homemade taste. I looked at Mama’s recipe and saw that it would work well as a crockpot soup. All it required was layering the veggies, pouring the soup mixture over it, then topping with chunks of cheese. At that point, turn the crockpot on HIGH and go about your day:)
I did tweak Mama’s recipe a bit, using a bag of frozen southern hash brown potatoes instead of fresh peeled and cubed ones. I also used Velveeta cheese where Mama uses American cheese slices. But, she usually makes a small pot of the soup, and I wanted to make a crockpot full.
The most time consuming part is preparing the fresh vegetables:
- Chopping the onion and celery
- Peeling and slicing the carrots
- Coarsely chopping the broccoli florets
However, time is saved using the frozen hash brown potatoes:)
Once your vegetables are prepared, you simply layered the ingredients, starting with the onions and celery, and ending with the chunks of Velveeta cheese. I did reduce the amount of liquid. Mama uses 4 cups of water. I wanted to add some chicken broth, so I used 1 cup of water and 1 cup of chicken broth.
The result, after 5 hours of cooking on HIGH, was a Potato Broccoli Soup that tasted just like Mama’s:)
What would you serve with Potato Broccoli Soup?
Mama’s Potato Broccoli Soup in a Crockpot Recipe
This is the recipe Mama makes all the time. I tweaked it a bit to cook in a Crockpot:) It was creamy and delicious!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (32-ounce) bag of frozen Southern Style Hash Brown Potatoes (Mama uses 4-5 potatoes, peeled and cubed. I thought the frozen ones would be better to use in a crockpot.)
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced or chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup shredded processed cheese, cut in chunks (Velvetta)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray your crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots.
- Add the bag of hash brown potatoes.
- Add broccoli.
- In a separate bowl, blend the can of cream of chicken soup with some of the broth and water.
- Pour the soup mixture over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper
- Add cheese.
- Cook on HIGH for about 5 hours.
- Take 2 cups of the vegetables out of the soup, reserving them to add back into the soup after you mash the rest.
- Mash the vegetables in the soup, with a potato masher, according to how you like them: with chunks, or use an immersion blender to make the consistency more smooth. You are the judge as to how much or how little you want to mash the remaining veggies. We like ours more chunky.
- Stir the 2 cups of reserved vegetables back into the soup.
- Heat through. Serve hot with crackers or Mama’s Homemade Mexican Cornbread.